Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Children's Books


Photobucket
Tonight my Mom showed me a new children’s book she had read to the kids she substitute taught: Snowmen at Christmas written and illustrated by husband and wife team Caralyn and Mark Buehner.  My mother and I have always had a heart for children’s literature and especially enjoy the illustrations.  Hidden in each picture of the snowmen are a cat, a rabbit, a mouse, a santa face and a tyrannosaurs rex.  This prompted me to grab some of my favorite books growing up and read them aloud with my roommate, Amber.  The three of us poured over the pages and took it in turns to point out the silly details and jokes slipped into the illustrations.  Two of the books I grabbed were written and illustrated by the same author, though I had never known.  Peggy Rathman wrote two of my favorites: Goodnight Gorilla, my “first book” and Ten Minutes Till Bedtime, a story I fell in love with when I was much older.  Peggy loves the tiny details, and tonight we found another treasure she had hidden for us: a scene from Goodnight Gorilla made a cameo in Ten Minutes Till Bedtime.  If you have children or simply want a beautiful book to giggle over, I heartily recommend checking out Peggy Rathman.


I don’t want to spoil all the surprises in Goodnight Gorilla, but I will say pay attention to the balloon.  
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...