Friday, June 17, 2011

Question Mark?

My youngest brother, Grant and my dad returned from scout camp telling tales of a monstrous caterpillar that shredded up their hands.  I admired their scabs as they described the prickly beast.  A week later, my mom called me out to the driveway because she'd found another.  Men of the Siegfried family hung in the background, warning us not to let it touch us and to just leave it alone.  But I ran upstairs for my cameras and snagged a few shots before we dumped him in the bushes. 

I'm proud to say that I identified my first bug since my 7th grade arthropod project.  This caterpillar will become the Question Mark Butterfly, or Polygonia interrogationis.  It's spiky and ferocious now, but turns a lovely burnt orange once it gets its wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...